Dear Father Angelo,
I would like to ask you how should our prayer for the Pope and the Church be?
Let me explain: I am part of a group of prayer requests on WhatsApp on which this video was posted: (…).
A lot of discontent broke out with the accusation of wanting to attack the Holy Father and some left the group.
When the doubt assails me that “to have to question” the teachings and the work of the Holy Father, I am tempted to pray that he “repent” but in this way I realize that I am judging him; but I must admit that my heart is restless and it becomes difficult for me to stay on a generic “guide it, inspire it”.
Sometimes (unfortunately, rarely!) I cut short and say a Rosary for the Pope and the Church, but what is the most fruitful and God-pleasing disposition of mind?
I thank you and I remember you in my prayers.
Response from the priest
1. the most correct way to pray for the Pope is to pray without putting any intention outside his own. After all, the oldest formula also linked to indulgences is precisely this: for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff.
That is, so that the Lord may direct him, guide him and protect him from all evil. As you can see, in these very short words there is everything.
2. It is always advisable not to add anything else, such as: that he may convert, that he repents … because easily, as you yourself observe, one falls into judgment and in this way, more than deserving, one demerits.
3. If you want me to tell you how I pray for the Pope, here: I do just as you sometimes do, that is, I cut short and say the Holy Rosary so that the Lord may do His work.
I do the same for the Church for which, however, I gladly specify the various categories of people with some particular intentions.
4. I like to recall what the Dominicans did and in some places still do when they raise their prayers (suffrages) for the living and the dead to God.
Among the living there is always the mention of the Pope.
Whoever leads the prayer says: Oremus pro Domino Papa (Let us pray for the Pope).
And they all reply: “Dominus conservet eum, et vivifcet eum e beatum faciat eum in terra, et non tradat eum in aninam inimicorum eius” (May the Lord keep him, give him life, make him peaceful on earth and do not hand him over to his enemies).
Then the leader continues like this: “Omnipotens sempiterne Deus, qui facis mirabilia magna solus, praetende super famulum tuum Papam nostrum N…. et super cunctas Congregationes illi commissas spiritum gratiae salutaris: et ut in veritate tibi complaceant, perpetuum eis rorem tuae benedictionis infonde ”.
(Almighty eternal God, you who alone do wonderful and great things, let the salutary spirit of grace descend upon your servant and our Pope … and above all the institutions directed by him: and so that they may be the object of your satisfaction pour on them the everlasting dew of your blessing.
5. It would not be bad to post on your WhatsApp this very beautiful prayer that I am now transcribing without interruptions:
Let us pray for the Pope
May the Lord preserve him, give him life, make him peaceful on earth and do not hand him over into the hands of his enemies.
Almighty eternal God, you who alone do wonderful and great things, let the salutary spirit of grace descend upon your servant and our Pope N … and above all the institutions directed by him: and so that they may be the object of your satisfaction pour on them the everlasting dew of your blessing.
For Christ our Lord. Amen.
I thank you for your prayers and gladly reciprocate them.
I wish you well and bless you.