Where does the gospel, or more generally the Bible, prohibit homosexual relations, considering that same-sex marriage is nowadays legal in Italy?
How to explain that “this kind of love is wrong”, considering that it could be objected that the Lord should then not have created individuals with this tendency?
Thank you for the clear answers you may want to give to my email.
1. Regarding your first question, you can use the search bar of our website.
It was created with the purpose to find the answer immediately, without repeating the same questions over and over.
Perhaps, each of us have the tendency to believe that he isg the first who asks a certain question,, while those who preceded us asked themselves the same question already. And they already found the answer.
2. Regardingthe second part of your email: it is not prohibited for two people of the same sex tolove each other. Nobody can prohibit it.
There are many legitimate ways to love each other.
No one can tell two homosexual friends that their affection is wrong.
I think we can all agree on this point.
3. If, on the other hand, what you intended was to talk about sexual relations, then you must be honest and recognize that sex organs are not made, nor structured, to be joined together in a way that is different from the natural one between the male and the female organs.
This is not something I say myself, but rather the reality that imposes itself.
4. The Christian faith wonders whether such a type of relationship is sanctifying for people.
Because the question of what is right and what is wrong ultimately concerns the goal of sanctification.
If we do not keep this in mind, it would be like dialoguing between deafs, or discussing from different perspectives.
5. Since you are looking for a faithful perspective, you must hold to this premise: whether homosexual practice is a way that God has prepared for the sanctification of people.
6. You say that the society has legalized homosexual relationships.
Well, it should be remembered that the civil society legislates with regard to the common good and, with reference to our problem, it issues the laws it considers appropriate the most.
But its goal, I repeat, is that of the common good.
7. The Church, on the other hand, has the duty to judge whether this type of behavior would be a sanctifying one for the person.
Clearly, those are two different perspectives.
The fact that the Italian state legalizes homosexual unions does not say anything about the goal of sanctification.
It says nothing simply because it is beyond its authority.
8. As regards the Church’s duty, which is on a different level from that of civil society, it should be remembered that the Church is not the author of the moral law, but receives it from God.
And with regard to homosexuality, the Church is confronted with several statements, all of them being very strong.
One is the following:
“Therefore, God handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts for the mutual degradation of their bodies…
God handed them over to degrading passions. Their females exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the males likewise gave up natural relations with females and burned with lust for one another. Males did shameful things with males and thus received in their own persons the due penalty for their perversity…
Although they know the just decree of God that all who practice such things deserve death, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them” (Rom 1: 24.26-27.32).
If the Church wants to bring God’s Revelation about homosexuality into this word, it cannot leave this page aside.
9. Within civil society, no one is forced to be a Christian.
But no one can prohibit a Christian from thinking as God does.
Christians do not force anyone to think like they do.
And they too have the right to follow Jesus Christ.
10. Finally, you asked one more question in your email: why would love between homosexual individuals be wrong, since God made them this way?
I made some distinctions and I said that their love for each other is not wrong.
I also said that what is wrong according to the Divine Revelation is something different.
But one should bring some proof before saying that God made them this way.
God made our progenitors Adam and Eve male and female.
In the process of the transmission of life, the two parents give the necessary elements to form a new body.
God intervenes by creating the soul.
The homosexual inclination does not derive from the soul, which is spiritual, but from the body.
Therefore, the statement that God made them this way is incorrect.
I wish you well, I bless you, and I will mention you to the Lord.
Translated by Chiara P.
Proof readed by Sara B.